The Antiochian Women of St. John are a vibrant, compassionate, generous group of ladies and it is a blessing for us to serve alongside each of you in our parish. We are blessed to continue to have new visitors, catechumen, and members in our parish. Our main goals are to come together to pray, fellowship and serve one another and our surrounding community. We are wonderfully lead by our current officers, Karen Wells, President and Caitlin Romero, Vice President.
If you are a lady attending St. John – high school graduate or older – you are an Antiochian Woman of St. John! We are privileged to have you as our sister in Christ! We welcome you and hope you will join in AWSJ activities to whatever extent you are comfortable.
We are the local chapter of the national Antiochian Orthodox Church Women of North America (AOCWNA), as well as a member of the Southeast Region AOCWNA. Each year, chapters across North America promote a common charity – currently, we are raising money to benefit the Orphans of Syria.
Our Activities Include:
- Women’s Teaching – Held in a member’s home one Thursday each month at 10 am or 7:00 p.m. (see the women’s listings in the weekly bulletin for each month’s dates)
- Paraklesis prayed together each Friday at noon.
- Women’s Book Club – Normally held the first Monday of each month. Check the bulletin or calendar for monthly selections.
- Secret Sisters – New Secret Sisters are chosen in the Fall with an “unveiling” potluck for all women before the end of the year.
- Regular meetings to discuss projects, programs, and issues of interest – held during coffee hour quarterly
Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established. (Proverbs 16:3)
We also share the responsibility and privilege of serving our parish in specific areas, known as AWSJ jobs. These positions require a year of volunteer service and offer the chance to become closer to your Antiochian sisters and members of St. John. Each of the AWSJ jobs are listed below. And keep in mind, AWSJ jobs can always be an opportunity to partner with a friend and share the benefits! 2015-16 Coordinators
- Scheduling Prosfora
- Care of Vestments
- Nave Decoration
- Food Pantry
- Thanksgiving Baskets
- Coffee Hour Coordinator
- Feast Coordinator
- Humanitarian Coordinator
- Service Coordinator
- Secret Sisters
- AWSJ Retreat
- Meals for Parishioners in Need/Funeral Meal Coordinator
We have much for which to be thankful, especially our sisters at St. John! Let us pray for, and with, each other as we continue to serve Christ together.